Context Loss loading large(ish) data in latest update of Chrome (96.0.4664)

Hi, we’ve suddenly started experiencing repeated context loss in Chrome over the last few days, and I did see an update to chrome recently. Chrome stable is on build 96.0.4664.45, which was released last Monday.
The issue is consistent across machines, and seems to occur after loading some bigger datasets.

If you are curious, you can see the crash happening here:
https://robot-animation.zea.live/
You may need to refresh a few times to see the issue.

The issue doesn’t occur on Chrome Beta/Dev/Canary, so it looks like a regression they fixed already and is just in Stable.

The issue is also reproducible in Microsoft Edge (96.0.4664). Note: Edge is built off Chromium, so this indicates that the issue is coming from Chromium.

Fixes/Workarounds:
If you have started experiencing repeated context loss, then your GPU will become disabled in Chrome. When this happens, Chrome switches to a custom Software GPU called the SwiftShader GPU, which emulates a GPU in software. The SwiftShader GPU is extremely slow compared to a proper hardware GPU, and so you will see a very sluggish scene. You will need to restart your machine before your GPU will be re-enabled.

I would recommend downloading and installing Chrome Beta and using that until the issue is resolved. This could take a few days to a couple of weeks.

If we can publish a fix to our engine i the mean time, we will. We have posted a notice to the Chronos Group mailing list and will log a bug to the Chrome dev team.

We will update this thread if any new information comes to light.

My apologies for this inconvenience.
Phil

This issue has been resolved now.
It was a regression in Chrome and a workaround has been implemented.

the PR for the fix is here:

We should be releasing engine 4.0.1 shortly with the fix.